Sunday, October 03, 2004

A letter to my brother.

How come so few people can look at a stand of trees where no human has intruded and not see incredible value as it is? Why is value always measured in marina's, homes, and restaurants? Why is the value of a view always seen FROM the place, and not looking AT it? not in the letter(example: Many would argue that watching a sunset is one of lifes basic pleasures. Well turn around sometime and watch the distance that would normally have been behind you, as the sun sets.)

I guess I'm a West Coast body who has to live in the midst of east coast thinkers. The entire south shore is in the process of being developed now. The space of trees, where we used to play, the area east of what used to be the black forest, and is south of the road, has buldozers in it. They are currently in the process of putting a road from just West of Dead Lake up the hill to the top of Prune hill. (no small task) When this is finished, all of Prune hill will have been house planted. The day I took that pic that is on my blog of Lacamas Lake I walked around up on those trails. I wanted to look around again before it was all someone's lawn. I came across a man, maybe a decade or and a half younger than me, out walking his dog and he asked me, Do you suppose they will save any of this? I said I doubt it! Not even the spaces too steep to plant a house will be spared! We both agreed that it's a damn shame that a place so wonderful had to be owned by just a few, a few that manage to be economically well off. As if having money makes a person more deserving of the special places. Now granted this is just one small area of the world. But it's a part of MY world and no one asked me what I thought we should do with it.

I wish I were god for a day. I would remove the concept of land ownership. Or as Chief Seattle said in his letter to President Pierce in 1855.....